Mental health after Lekki toll gate shooting
On the 20th of October 2020 armed men, in military garb opened fire, shooting peaceful protesters who were sat singing their national anthem at the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos. This was an abrupt end to the two-week-long peaceful protest seeking for an end to police brutality in the nation of Nigeria.
That night hundreds of thousands of people worldwide watched the carnage ensue on an Instagram live feed provided by @djswitch who was broadcasting from the scene of the incident. Several people watched as people were shot injured, bleeding and one gentleman receiving a failed attempt at CPR.
So many have been heartbroken, and here at Taboo doctor, routine scheduling of the sex-education series had to be paused, as we mourned the loss of lives and the trauma that so many endured.
Taboo doctor is committed to talking about the subjects we often shy away from primarily mental health. Over the next few weeks, we will release a special report episode on how to deal with trauma. This will include personal stories from you, our listeners and viewers who have been dealing with this crisis.
Please share your stories with us as this will empower others to feel free to share theirs and hopefully find safe spaces to do so.
The steps are simple, and you can do it in any of the following ways;
- Send a short video clip, maximum 5 minutes long on how your mental health has been since 20.10.20 and how you have been affected, how you have coped, received support or supported others.
- Send a 5-minute video clip of yourself speaking to or speaking of the observed changes in the mental health of your community and what has been a support.
- Send an email expressing interest of participation, and we will respond to you to schedule a date and time to interview you via zoom.
- Include your name and location in the body of the email. Also include a statement of consent for us to use the content for the report.
- Send all emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The final date for submission is the 6th of November 2020 at midnight (WAT)
We sincerely hope that this project brings healing to you, us and those we love.